Sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Here are two great gluten free recipes (one sweet and one savory) using sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Chips
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Grapeseed oil, to coat
- 1 tsp. White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes. Pat dry.
- Slice sweet potatoes using a mandoline slicer or sharp knife into ‘chips.’
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; gently toss to coat all sweet potato ‘chips’.
- Spread chips onto baking mats and bake one tray at a time for 25-30 minutes or until crispy.
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Macadamia Brownies
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup stevia for baking
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts or walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine sweet potatoes, butter and stevia. Cook over medium heat; bring to a boil and stir for 7 minutes.
- Remove 1/2 the mixture; transfer to a mixing bowl to cool. Add baking soda and sea salt; mix well. Transfer mixture to a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Add macadamia nuts, chocolate chips and coconut to stovetop sweet potato mixture; mix well. Drizzle over cooked portion. Bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
- Slice into brownie bites.
By Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP – Amie is a Manhattan based Culinary Personal Chef, recipe developer and food writer specializing in Gluten-Free, Soy-Free and Dairy-Free Culinary Nutrition. Amie is the author of the gluten-free blog, The Healthy Apple and the Publisher and Marketing Director of the online gluten-free magazine, Easy Eats. Amie works hands-on with individuals and groups as a Food Allergy Concierge and Healthy Family Pantry Stylist to guide them through their transition into a healthier lifestyle. You can follow Amie on Twitter @TheHealthyApple and on Facebook at The Healthy Apple.