Chewy Maple Granola Bars
½ cup butter, melted and cooled
¼ cup honey
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups oats (not instant)
½ cup shredded coconut (either sweetened or unsweetened)
¾ cups dried cranberries or blueberries
1/3 cup raisins
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2/3 cup pecan halves
½ cup chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat over to 350ºF
- Melt the butter and allow it to cool slightly while you prepare the other ingredients
- Measure honey, maple syrup and vanilla into a bowl, and stir to combine
- Crack the egg over a small bowl
- Add the egg and butter to the syrup mixture
- Measure oats, coconut, dried berries, raisins, cinnamon, salt, flour, seeds, pecans and chocolate chips (if using) and pour into a large bowl.
- Use clean hands to mix together.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the oats mixture.
- Use clean hands or two spoons to mix the ingredients together and be sure that the oats are coated in the maple syrup mixture
- Line a 9” square baking pan with two sheets of parchment paper. Be sure you press the paper into the corners.
- Spoon the coated oat mixture into the baking pan and press flat, filling the entire pan.
- Bake on the lower rack of the over for 20-25 minutes, until the top is set and starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to come to room temp.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.
By Michelle Stern – From the The Whole Family Cookbook: Celebrate the goodness of locally grown foods